The History of Niederegger Packaging
The classic niederegger packaging was created in the 1900’s. The classic icon on the Niedergger packaging is the Holsten Gate. The Holsten Gate is a city gate marking off the western boundary of the old center of the Hanseatic city of Lübeck. This Brick Gothic construction is one of the relics of Lübeck’s medieval city fortifications and the only remaining city gate, except for the Citadel Gate. Because its two round towers and arched entrance are so well known it is regarded today as a symbol of this German city, and together with the old city centre of Lübeck. The Holsten Gate is composed of a south tower, a north tower and a central building. It has four floors, except for the ground floor of the central block, where the gate’s passageway is located. The side facing west (away from the city) is called the “field side”, the side facing the city the “city side”. Alfred Mahlau added this icon of Lübeck to the Niederegger packaging. Alfred Mahlau was a German painter, illustraiter and painter, he is famously known for his graphical illustrations and also for his large stained glass window – Dance of Death. The fact that Niederegger has not changed its packaging for over a century shows that it is a true classic and the product has not changed since it was created in 1806.
Tin Niederegger boxes, whos design predates the 1900th century will be on sale in all John Lewis stores this Autumn.